Are you ready to have some Juicy and Moist Chicken? Well then give this Beer Can Chicken Recipe a try. Sometimes also known as drunken chicken, this recipe incorporates a few things to basically steam the chicken from the inside out. Making for a moist chicken which is always good! You just need a gas grill for this recipe or you could also use a charcoal grill. We basically just need to cook it using indirect heat for about 2 to 3 hours.
• 1 – 4 pound or more Whole Chicken
• 1 Can of beer
• 1 Small Onion or Potato
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 2 tablespoons black pepper
• 2 tablespoons salt
Items used to make this recipe
• Can Opener
• Beer Can Chicken Holder
• Meat Thermometer
• Baking Sheet or something to catch the juices
1. Preheat the grill for indirect heat. With a gas grill this is easy just turn on one side to medium. If you are using a charcoal grill you will have to move all of the coal to one side of the grill.
2. Next it is time to prep the chicken. Take your spice rub and sprinkle it over the chicken and begin to rub it in every where. You can even rub some underneath the chicken for a bit extra flavor. You can use either of the spice rubs I have provided above. Either the Kansas City style one for a bit of extra kick or the basic rub.
3. Now open up your can of beer and you only want it to be half full so drink half and enjoy. Next take a can opener and go around the edge of the can and open it up so that it is easier to pour in the rub. Pour in any remaining rub.
4. Now take the beer can and insert it into the cavity of the chicken. I used a beer can chicken stand that I got at Walmart for 4 dollars. It makes it easier and you don’t have to worry about the chicken tipping over. But if you do not have a stand just use the legs and the beer can to form a tripod to stabilize it.
5. Important step: After you have your chicken on the beer can remember to take your small onion or potato and stuff it in the top or neck area of the chicken. This will prevent the moisture from escaping.
6. Now take the chicken and place it on your baking sheet and place it on the grill over the side of the grill that is turned off. After about an hour rotate the chicken so that each side get done evenly.
7. It should take about 2 to 3 hours to cook your chicken. You can check to make sure it is done by placing your meat thermometer in the thigh of the chicken and it needs to be at 180 degrees.
There you go that is your Beer Can Chicken. Now be careful when removing the can from the chicken remember the can and liquid inside will be hot. Once you have the can removed you can begin to carve up your chicken. Be prepared it will be juicy!!!