Well it was finally time to do some thing with the Eggplant that I got at the Saturday Morning Market. I have always wanted to try making Eggplant Parmesan so I looked up a good recipe on AllRecipes.com. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly but listened to a few of the suggestions that some of the reviewers made. The recipe was easy to make but a bit time consuming.
• 1 large Eggplant
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
• 1 package of mozzarella cheese
• 1 package of parmesan cheese
• 2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Newmans Own Marinara, it is the best jar pasta sauce I have ever had)
• 1/4 teaspoon basil
Items used to make this recipe
• Baking Sheet
• Measuring Cups
• Cutting board
• 2 bowls
• 9 X 13 baking dish
• Aluminum foil
1. First pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel your eggplant and slice it into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch slices.
3. Now you want to sweat your eggplant slices by salting each slice and letting that sit for 20 minutes to draw the moisture out.
4. While you are waiting for your eggplant slices to sweat prepare your dipping bowls. In one bowl put in one cup of Italian bread crumbs and the other crack your eggs and mix them up well.
5. After the 20 minutes are up wash off each slice with cool water. Then you are ready to bread. Take each eggplant slice and dip it into the egg and then into the bread crumbs.
6. Then place each slice onto a baking sheet with aluminum foil that has been greased.
7. Now put your eggplant into your preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove them and flip each slice and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
8. While your eggplant is cooking in the oven get out your 9 X 13 baking dish and cover the bottom with pasta sauce.
9. After you are done baking your eggplant slices you are going to assemble them in your baking dish sort of like you would when making a lasagna. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Then sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then repeat the process until the done with all of the eggplant. After you have finished sprinkle some mozzarella and parmesan cheese onto along with your basil.
10. Turn down your oven to 350 degrees and cook for 35 minutes until done.
After mine was done cooking I just scooped out a portion and placed onto to a bed of pasta. This dish was quite good. The eggplant kind of had the same texture of chicken and tasted very nice.